LES FESTES DE GRÀCIA 2017
The one thing that sets the Gracia Festival apart from any other in Barcelona is its decorated streets. For months, the neighbours spend hours preparing these wonderful creations made with recycled elements. You can see a giant dinosaur, enter the world of Alice in Wonderland or just travel to an underwater paradise. Want to know what they have prepared for us in 2017? Prepare your own route, buy the "Festes" program at any stand.
Don’t focus only on the streets. There is also a competition for the best decorated balcony! It is the turn for each neighbour to display their imagination.
A TIP: visit the streets at twilight (when the lights of the decorations are turned on) and early in the festival as, unfortunately, some of the creations will be damaged after the long rowdy nights.
When and where:
- The street decorations will be ready on the 14th of August but the neighbours will be working outdoors for a few days beforehand. Even if you are not here during the actual Gracia Festival, it is always worth it to visit and see the work in progress.
Enjoy the liveliness of the street parades
You can find parades anywhere in the world but in Catalonia they are something special. Here you will see giant figures, people with big heads, dancers with sticks, dragons, devils and blunderbuss firing. These are the “gegants”, “capgrossos”, bastoners”, “dragóns”, “demonis” and “trabucaires” that can not be missed on any Barcelona festivity. During the Gracia Festival there are 5 parades to choose from.
A TIP: the one parade you shouldn’t miss is the “Cercavila de Cultura Popular”, on the first day. Here is where you will see all the different characters, from the giants to the noisy “trabucaires”.
When and where:
- Matí de Festa Major: Monday 15th at 1pm (Plaça de la Vila de Gracia)
- Cercavila de Cultura Popular: Monday 15th at 6pm
Route: Santa Ageda, Gran de Gràcia, Travessera de Gràcia, Torrent del’Olla, Diluvio and Plaça de la Vila de Gracia
- Cercavila de Sant Roc: Tuesday 16th at 10.30am (Plaça de la Vila de Gracia)
- Diada de les Colles de Cultura de Gracia: Wednesday 16th at 7.30pm (Plaça de la Vila de Gracia)
- Giants Parade through the decorated streets: Saturday 19th from 10am to 2pm
Route: Plaça de la Vila de Gracia, Mozart, Jesús, Gran de Gràcia, Luis Antúnez, Vic, Sant Cristòfol, plaça de la Llibertat, Berga, Rambla del Prat, Gran de Gràcia, Astúries, Travessia de Sant Antoni, Sant Joa quim, Maspons, Sant Joaquim, Travessera de Gràcia, Matilde and Plaça de la Vila de Gracia.